Rafa Benitez has been the target of almost all fan abuse in recent weeks.
1. Chelsea & Tottenham In £20m Brazilian Bidding War : The Daily Mail have quoted Willian as stating his desire to move to Chelsea so his apparent availability will generate interest from both the Stamford Bridge side and Tottenham. Andre Villas-Boas is known to be an admirer of the 24 year old Shakhtar Donetsk playmaker and the arrival of Taison certainly leaves the door open for Willian to make his long awaited move to the English top tier. Willian is into his sixth season at his Ukraine based side and may feel he has achieved all he can at the Donbass Arena but any departure may have to wait until the summer as Shakhtar’s continued presence in the Champions League will surely lead the former Corinthians star to want to stay until the end of the current campaign. A move to Chelsea may be of more interest to Willian due to the presence of a number of his national team colleagues at the club, with Oscar, Ramires, Lucas Piazon and David Luiz all at the Stamford Bridge club.
2. Chelsea eyes new Modric bid :
Chelsea will make a £25million summer move to rescue Luka Modric from his Real Madrid nightmare, and finally get the man they have been chasing for more than two years. And their resolve will be strengthened after they missed out on Metalist Kharkiv’s Brazilian midfielder Taison, 24, who yesterday opted to sign for Shakhtar Donetsk. Modric is not enjoying the best of season’s under ex-Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho and is still adapting to life in Spain. And with Mourinho tipped to leave at the end of this campaign, Abramovich is ready to swoop. Two years ago Chelsea failed with a £40m bid to sign him from Premier League rivals Tottenham. Modric is seen as the right man to replace Frank Lampard when his contract expires at the end of this season.
3. Lyon confirm that Chelsea FC have had interest in Bafétimbi Gomis :
Bafétimbi Gomis has been loosely linked to Chelsea on and off for the last several months, and this morning Sky Sports had some quotes from Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas that confirm that Chelsea were, indeed, interested:
“Bafe has talked about Chelsea in the past as they seem a very prestigious club to him, but there are also other propositions.”
L’Equipe also had an interesting quote from Bernard Lacombe on the situation with Gomis, and the manager clearly wants him to stay:
” It’s annoying if you lose your best players during the season, especially Bafé. He has been our most effective player since the beginning of the season, scoring 11 goals. I spoke with the president, but when you have a financial problem, what you want … ”
Other News :
1. Gary Cahill is a father! :
Before Chelsea kicked off against Stoke, the club’s official twitter account tweeted the following :
“Gary Cahill isn’t in the squad today as his partner went into labour – he is now the proud father of a baby boy!”
We wish Gary Cahill and his partner good luck with their child 🙂
2. Chelsea fans to boycott home games :
Angry Chelsea fans have decided to boycott matches until Rafa Benitez is dumped. Supporters believe the club is being torn apart by the way it is being run and are determined to see the back of the interim manager. After Chelsea’s shock 2-0 home defeat by Swansea on Wednesday in the Capital One Cup semi-final first leg, the depth of anger being felt by fans was expressed by Trizia Fiorellino, chair of the Chelsea Supporters’ Group, who said: ‘
‘We are in turmoil and there is a danger we will lose the soul of the club.’
‘I know of fans who will not watch Chelsea until Rafa Benitez has gone.
‘In my experience, fans who stop watching the club don’t come back.’
What do you think of Chelsea showing interest in Modric, Gomis and Willian? Who would you buy? Would you buy at all? Are Chelsea fans right to boo Rafa Benitez and possibly boycott home games because of him? Any wishes for CB Gary Cahill? Let us know in the comment section below – we’d love to hear from you!