What We Learned From The Aston Villa Match : 23.12.2012
An amazing night for the Blues as we pulverized Aston Villa at The Bridge and gave all Chelsea fans a great gift for the Christmas holiday. No doubt it was an electric start, and that burden just continued to pile onto Aston Villa, who will be very disappointed with their performance after their recent high-flying form.
Scorers from the Chelsea – Villa Match
Stats from the Chelsea – Villa match.
What We Learned :
1. Rafa Benitez has figured out the formula.
2. Fernando Torres looks to be back.
3. Chelsea have a bright future.
4. David Luiz in the midfield and Cahill at CB.
1. Rafa Benitez has figured out the formula : After a rocky start to his managerial career at Chelsea, Rafa has figured it out. It took him a few weeks, but this is what he is here to do. One of the greatest performances in Chelsea history as the defense was unbeatable, and the attack was lethal. He played the 4-2-3-1 formation with the following XI : Cech, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Ivanovic, Cole, David Luiz, Frank Lampard, Moses, Mata, Hazard, Torres. This isn’t the starting XI for every match, but the system the XI played under is what should be included in every XI. A quick, ferocious start and then a steady performance that gave a clean-sheet and 8 goals for the first time since Wigan in 09-10. This was Ancelotti and Mourinho Chelsea combined into 1 brilliant Rafa led Chelsea. This is what Rafa can do and calling for his sacking is foolish as he is miles ahead of Di Matteo in terms of tactics and managerial success.
2. Fernando Torres looks to be back : Torres – the most inconsistent player The Bridge has maybe ever seen. He’s been firing on and off for the past month where all Chelsea fans were either excited or disappointed with his performances. Well, it looks like Torres has finally broken the inconsistency and gone towards his old form that Chelsea expected when they paid 50 million for him. Torres led the line superbly after two fairly anonymous performances against Corinthians and Leeds, bursting into life with a bullet header just three minutes in and torturing his youthful opponents. There will be tougher tests than this to pass, however, but this is a step forward for Fernando and Chelsea. He looks like to be full of confidence as he continues to get into the right positions and create chances for others.
3. Chelsea have a bright future : Juan Mata, Victor Moses, Oscar, Lucas Piazon, Marko Marin, Oriol Romeu, Cesar Azpilicueta, Eden Hazard and Ryan Bertrand are some of Chelsea’s most prosperous youngsters who are under the age of 23. All of these players have put in fabulous performances for us in recent weeks/times and certainly are part of the new Chelsea as John Terry, Lampard, Cole, etc. look to be on their way out. Mata, Moses, Oscar, Hazard continue to impress as the amounts of money spent on them is showing, and their class is, as well. Rafa Benitez has continued to put confidence in the youth at Chelsea and continues to show why Chelsea are producing and harvesting some of the best youth talent in the World. This match perfectly exemplified what Chelsea Football Club will be in the next coming years.
4. David Luiz in the midfield and Cahill at CB : Luiz passed his first real test in the Chelsea midfield with flying colours, showing skill, tenacity and an impressive range of passing. Capped a fine display with a Didier Drogba-esque free kick on the half-hour mark.Cahill was often the free man while Ivanovic took on Benteke, and for the most part enjoyed a trouble-free afternoon. Produced one fantastic sliding clearance to deny Benteke a simple tap-in after the break, though. Luiz was so calm and composed on the ball as he continued to show his brilliance and his Brazilian-ness. A world class freekick and a few brilliant balls from David show that he belongs in the midfield. Gary Cahill continues to impress at the back as him and Ivanovic worked well together to make Cech’s life easier.
Other Points :
1. Our title chances are still on.
2. Rafa is a master at squad rotation.
3. Frank Lampard – brilliant performance, but his time has come.
Check out Andre Saad’s review of the game on YouTube!