|What exactly did we learn?
Yesterday we took on the Old Lady or Juventus. It was a great start for the Blues with 2 goals (1 beauty) from Oscar, but before halftime we conceded a goal, Hazard was denied a penalty (again) and then a misplaced pass from Mikel lead to the equalizer. So, it finished 2-2 and there were many things that I threw from that match :
1. Oscar should start
2. Mikel -> bench
3. Sitting back doesn’t work, anymore
4. 2-0 is the most dangerous lead
5. Juventus are class
6. Ramires and Bertrand are not wingers
7. Di Matteo makes tactical errors
8. Cahill > Luiz
1. Oscar has to start. HAS TO. He was so dominant and so great today that Pirlo struggled with him and when Pirlo struggles with you, you’re having a heck of a match. His goals aside, Oscar was active, accurate, speedy and precise. He didn’t make many errors and he tracked back when needed. He never gave up and was lively throughout the whole time he was on the pitch.
2. Mikel has to be placed on the bench. 3rd game in a row that his back pass or misplaced pass has put us in deep trouble. Mikel also hasn’t tracked back too well, either. By putting him on the bench, you could open up a spot for Oscar or Romeu. Both are eager to play and have shown themselves well, when played.
3. Sitting back is a tactic that must be dropped. We cannot take a 2-0 lead and then sit back, it is the most dangerous lead in football. By sitting back, you give Juventus, a passing team, the ability to pass around and have some fun with the ball, as well as press when Chelsea do get the ball (in the own half). It limits your options when instead you could grab a 3rd and put the match to rest.
4. 2-0 is the most dangerous lead in Football. It allows teams to sit back and feel comfortable and when one goal is scored, the whole match changes and opens up to both teams. Once we go 2-0 up, we must press for the 3rd and final goal, because Juventus were there for the taking.
5. Juventus is a top class team, they played beautiful football and created wonderful chances. They were unlucky not to bag a 3rd goal and take all 3 points back to Turin. Juventus will challenge us for the top spot in the group and will challenge us for the CL Title, as well.
6. Once again, Ramires and Bertrand ARE NOT wingers. Ramires had a good game with the amount of hustle he showed, but he still didn’t have the speed or skill or instinct of a winger. He lacked that cutting edge that would have pushed us to new heights in the match. Bertrand was very poor in the time he played. Was limited and didn’t attack with the instinct that Ramires lacked, as well. We must put both these players in their rightful positions. LB and CM for Bertrand and Ramires.
7. Di Matteo brought on Bertrand for Ramires and pushed Hazard to RW and that move was a catastrophic one. It limited Hazard and then he put on Bertrand to put LW, which is not his position. We have wingers in Moses, Marin and Sturridge… USE THEM. They know how to play those positions, so put them there instead of adjusting others to that position.
8. David Luiz was phenomenal the first 25-30 minutes or so and then began to slowly get worse and worse. He still had a decent match, but he let us down on a few occasions when him and Terry were miles apart. I think Gary Cahill would be the better CB option and that it would only make the defense better.
What did you draw from the match (no pun intended)? Let me know in the comments area!